Looking for that off-the-beaten-path travel experience? Something with a little extra adventure thrown in with our deluxe camping? The Adventurous Mountain Biking & Trek tour is just what you are looking for! The recent construction of a rough jeep road on the old Gangtey trekking route (Phobjika to Wangdue), has opened up a new opportunity for an off-road mountain biking adventure. This beautifully rugged route begins in the Phobjika Valley (the valley of the famous black-necked cranes) and ends at Tikezampa, near Wangdue’s Prodhang Dzong. This biking route leads through amazing rhododendron and pine forests, crosses 3 mountain passes, and goes through several traditional Bhutanese villages – Gogona, Khotokha, and Upper Sha. It is truly a great way to experience Bhutan’s landscape and culture! To complete this biking route, it is necessary that you have some experience with (off-road) mountain biking, and that you are capable of riding long and steep uphill trail sections as well as downhill sections. The route can be completed easily by hardcore bikers in two days, but we suggest a three-day route to allow you time to enjoy and absorb the landscape and culture.
The second half of this adventure is the Tsaluney Trek (Druk Path Trek): This wonderfully scenic high-altitude walk accesses remote alpine lakes, encounters yak herders, and boasts views of the Bhutanese Himalayas. Mostly, it follows ancient traditional mule routes between Thimphu and Paro. This trek will start in Paro and end in Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan. This particular trek path is considered moderately challenging. You should be comfortable walking 6-7 hours a day on moderate terrain (at high altitudes). The tour will end with the must-see/hike to Tiger’s Nest Monastery, which will take most of the day.
If you have limited time or are not possible to cycle you choose either activity that suits your interests, fitness level, available time, and the specific circumstances of your situation.
- Opportunity to witness panoramic views of lush valleys, and snow capped peaks as you ride & during treks
- Great opportunity to test your biking skills and push your limits while climbing steep ups and thrilling descent on rugged terrains.
- Immerse yourself with local cultural will visiting traditional villages, interacting with locals and learn Bhutanese customs.
- Visit local monasteries including hike to Tiger Nest, the quintessential of Bhutan travel experience.
- Spot varies wild animals and rare species of birds along the of biking and trekking
- Camping in wilderness with a campfire, sharing stories with crew members